.

.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Mayzie Jean

Mayzie was scheduled to arrive via c-section on her due date, May 13. Since my other two were c-sections, this baby was coming the same way. We couldn't have planned things any better if we had tried. Ben's last day of finals was Friday, May 10, which was also his birthday. So we scheduled it for the 13th, hoping she would stay in until after finals were over. Lucky for us, our children aren't in too much of a hurry to get out. Payson was 8 days late and Mayzie showed no signs of wanting to come out. I was secretly hoping to go into labor earlier, because I was getting more miserable by the minute, but realistically I knew that we really didn't want to her to come during finals. That would have been a mess. So we were able to get through finals, and a fun birthday weekend before she came.

The morning of the big day went as planned. I couldn't sleep so I got up early and showered and got ready. My mom helped with Payson as we got everything ready. We headed out right on time (which is saying something for me!) and went to the hospital to check in. Sally came and got Payson and watched him for us all day. She is so good to us, I don't know what we'd do without her! And then my mom came to the hospital and hung out in the waiting room. We got all checked in and we just waited in triage until it was time to go to the OR. I have never been a hard poke, but this time it took 4 tries and 3 different nurses to get my IV placed. It was awful! I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything for 8 hours prior, and as time wore on I started feeling more and more yucky. I was so thirsty and feeling dehydrated, and as the time got closer I was getting more nervous. By the time they were ready for us, I was shaking so bad and nervous and just not feeling well. We walked to the OR and they made Ben stay outside until they were ready to start the surgery. I hated that. I needed him by my side. I was shaking so bad and on the verge of tears. Getting the spinal block hurt so bad, and I just lost it after that. I started crying and the sweet nurse was holding my hand while the anesthesiologist was reminding me to hold still. They laid me down and started prepping everything I was just crying. I felt awful! Along with being nervous, laying down on my back made me feel like I couldn't breathe, and as the anesthesia started working, I felt more and more crummy. It's hard to explain how I felt, I just felt really bad. I just wanted to cry. So I did. I wasn't sobbing, I just had constant tears running down my face. By the time they let Ben in, I was a mess, and he was so worried when he saw me. I was so relieved to finally have him. It didn't take them long to get to the baby. I felt a lot of pressure as they worked on getting her out. I was really uncomfortable, but then felt a sudden relief as they pulled her out. The surgery was scheduled for 10:30am. I am not sure what time we started but it was right around there, and at 10:35 am Mayzie Jean was born weighing 7 lbs 8 oz and was 19 3/4 in long. She started crying right away and they brought her around and showed me for a second before they took her over to the corner to clean her up. Ben went with her and took lots of pictures for me. I hate just laying there and not being able to be a part of everything going on. At one point the nurse moved the corner of the blue sheet they have hanging up between my head and the rest of me, so I could see where they were working on Mayzie. I thought that was really considerate of her. I still felt really crummy and continued to lay there and cry as they sewed me up. By the time they were done and wheeling me into the recovery room, I started feeling a little better. I was no longer in tears, and I was finally able to hold my baby. It felt so great as Ben handed her to me! I fell in love with her months before this time, but just seeing her and holding her is the best feeling, and I fell in love all over again. She was perfect. She had a bunch of fuzzy blonde hair and she looked really big. I was so surprised she was 7 lbs 8 oz, I thought she would be smaller. She was our healthiest baby and she looked so pink and perfect. I couldn't get over how healthy and big she looked. Ben went and got my mom and we all just got to hang out and admired how beautiful Mayzie was. The anesthesia always makes me feel foggy headed and a little out of it. I had to make an effort to focus on what was going on. I hate that feeling. But you do what you have to, and it's worth it to get my babies here! Luckily it doesn't stay for long, but it is replaced with pain as the anesthesia wears off! A few hours later we moved to our room and I was starting to hurt from the surgery. But I had a great nurse who gave me everything I could have and helped me stay on top of the pain meds. That helped a lot. I was lucky to have her again the next day and she was awesome! She took great care of me and even helped entertain Payson. She would let him come with her and she would go get him a treat or something to color or do. They even came back with a tv and a bunch of movies to watch. The best part about all of this, is she and all of the nurses thought Payson's name was Winston! Hahaha! When we realized that, it was a little late to correct them, so we just let them call him Winston. We still laugh pretty hard about that. That first day our good friends the McIraths came for a visit and so did Kristalyn. We are lucky to have such good friends with us on this crazy law school adventure! That evening Sally dropped off Payson at the hospital and I was so excited for him to see Mayzie. He came in and just looked in awe at me sitting in the bed, holding whatever that was in my arms. He was so hesitant to come up to me. He looked so nervous. I felt bad! I just wanted to hug him. But he came up to me and I showed him the baby and he said "oh." I asked if he was excited to see his sister, happy to see me, etc. and he just kept saying "yes" to everything. Then he ran over to the window and hid behind the curtains. Funny kid. I think it was just overwhelming for him and he didn't know what to think. He eventually warmed up and was the funny kid we know and love. He got to hold Mayzie and was such a good brother already. He loved being at the hospital. He loved exploring around the room finding things to play with and he just thought coming the hospital was such an adventure. Ben let him get some snacks and drinks from the vending machine and he thought that was the coolest thing he'd ever seen! And he loved to go on "walks" and walk around the hospital. He always asked to go on the elevators and just thought the whole hospital thing was awesome. He will still ask me occasionally, "Are we going to the hospital today?" or "When can we go to the hospital?" He is so fun.
The rest of the hospital stay went ok. I had a hard time managing my pain, which was no fun. I had got a cough just a few days before delivery so every time I coughed it hurt like crazy! I would double over in pain and a lot of the times it would make my eyes water. Also, that second day I had the worst pain in my shoulder. I couldn't move at all without a searing pain going through my whole upper body. It was awful! I finally asked the nurse about it and she said it was gas. I had no idea it could hurt so bad! It was worse than the pain from the surgery. That had me in tears. I remember trying to get up and it just hurt so bad, I collapsed on Ben and just cried. I was so miserable. I just kept trying to get up and walk around to get everything moving around. It eventually got less and less and once I was rid of that awful pain, I felt so much better. By the day I checked out, I felt great and was so grateful for that! I started nursing right away and Mayzie did pretty well with that. I felt more confident this time since I sort of knew what to expect and how to do it. But by the third day my nipples  started to crack and were really sore. The hospital has a Breast Feeding Clinic that is the one of the best resources I have ever seen. It is amazing! They have been so helpful to me as I have struggled with nursing. I remember with Payson I would just cry as soon as he would start crying because it hurt so bad. Luckily this time was much better. The clinic nurses gave me a shield to use which helped immensely! And Mayzie is an eating champ so she could latch on to anything. Mayzie lost too much weight in the hospital so we had to supplement her with formula. My nurse was awesome and helped me rig a system where I used a syringe to push formula in her mouth the same time she nursed, so I could keep nursing and she would get the nourishment she needed. Mayzie has been a great baby from the start. She did great in the hospital and even let me get some sleep. My mom left on Wednesday. It was so great to have her here! I am so grateful she came out. I loved having her there to dote on Mayzie and to stay with Payson. And Payson loved having her here too. We were all sad to see her go. That night Ben went home with Payson and I was there by myself. At first I was a little nervous, but it turned out to be great. I think I actually got more rest than when Ben stayed with me the other two nights. I let the nurses take Mayzie to the nursery so I could get some sleep and they would bring her to me when she needed to eat. Throughout the stay we had some more visitors, which is always fun. Sally, Tracie, Nicole, Shannon, and Roseanne all came by which was so nice. It was so different being out here without our families! With Payson and Kynslee we had a waiting room full of people waiting to see the baby, and lots of visitors throughout the whole stay. This time was much more relaxing and low key. It was kind of nice! I felt like I was able to get more rest. But at the same time, we missed our families so much. We couldn't wait for them to see Mayzie. We did a lot of face time on the phones, and sent lots pictures.
Thursday was checkout day, and although I love the hospital stay (I love being waited on- having my food brought to me, getting whatever I need when I need it, etc!) it was exciting to be going home. I really had a great experience with the hospital this time around. I love my doctor, he is my favorite out of the ones I've had. I had great nurses the entire time. And I loved the birthing center and the breast feeding clinic. I just felt like everyone took great care of me, and it was a great experience. However, in relation to my other deliveries, this was the roughest hospital stay as far recovery. I was in a lot more pain, had more complications with recovering and it was just rough. But luckily we were able to fix all that while in the hospital, and I haven't had any other problems since. I have been lucky and have felt great since then. Payson was the easiest delivery and recovery. I don't remember being in much pain and it just seemed so easy. But the hospital stay wasn't as great- with rough nurses and Payson having to stay in the nursery because of the fluid in his lungs, and we had a hard time with nursing. And Kynslee's delivery was just a whole different experience all together, because of many things. But I wouldn't trade it for anything! So grateful for my three beautiful kids! And so grateful to have this beautiful girl added to our family. We love her so much!
We stopped to take a picture on our way to check in.
 Getting ready for surgery!
She's here!
 Proud daddy
 Sweet baby
I took a lot of pictures during our stay! 
Payson seeing Mayzie for the first time. I am glad Meredith thought to take pictures of this! Thanks Mer!
Payson had made some gifts for Mayzie and was excited to give them to her. Sally had helped Payson pick out and paint some cute little things and also help him make his big brother shirt.
 Kristalyn, Payson, Jason, Mayzie, Meredith
 First time holding Mayzie
Mayzie got Payson a gift too. An activity book and a card game. (Thanks to Roseanne for this great idea!)
 Payson helping daddy massage my legs.
He is so good with her!
Payson loved taking pictures of her!
The nursery brought her back with the cute bow and wrapped up in the little sleeper. She looked so cute!
My cute family!
 I couldn't get enough of her! I just kept taking pictures and loving on her.
 Going home!
 Love this picture
Love my cute family!
 At home in her bassinet
 She's already a daddy's girl
Welcome to the world, Mayzie!

2 comments:

Julia M. said...

Congratulations!! She is so beautiful. I am so proud of you for not giving up on nursing--it's such a tricky, yet healthy and rewarding thing, once everyone gets a hang of it!

The way you described your anesthesia makes me feel even more grateful that I haven't had to have that. It sounds awful. I would have bawled, too. Heck, I'd probably still be bawling!

I love having an older son and a baby girl. He's so sweet to her, and most things about it are just magical. Keep healing and enjoying that sweet baby girl!!!

Missy said...

You are such a trooper! I'm so sorry about the pain and hard recovery this go around. I'm glad you had a lot of help through it. You are a great mom!