.

.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Save Second Base!

On Saturday we participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It was so much fun! This was my family's second year participating and we have loved doing it! We were even able to get my Grandma involved this year, which is a big part of why we do it- in celebration of her being cancer free for over 40 years! My work also put together a team in support of a co-worker who is currently battling this awful disease.

Our first stop was to say hi to all my friends and co-workers. We had a great turnout and they did a great job organizing everything. I really love my work- it's a wonderful company and I work with such wonderful people!

This is my supervisor Carol whom I absolutely love. She is the nicest woman I have ever met. She never says a mean or negative thing about anyone or anything. I love working with her!
Next we made it all the way through the sea of people to get to the Tye's (my dad's side of the family). Lucky for us, they were easy to spot with the blue balloons- best idea ever! We also had an awesome turnout and it was really fun to spend the morning with my fun family. We had a really good time. Grandma was a good sport and let us push her the whole way.

Here we are with Grandma Tye
Me and Pays with my mom and sisters.

This kid was such a good boy! He was so chill, just hanging out in his stroller.
He was pretty happy for waking up so early!
There were so many fun phrases on shirts, posters, hats, etc.
Some of the other good ones we saw were
"Save Second Base"
"Stop the War in My Rack"
"Ya, these are fake- my real ones tried to kill me!"
"The whole tit and cabooble"
People are so clever!

My mom and I ran the last part of the race and then turned around and went back to our group. By the time we got back, Payson had fallen asleep. He was just having too much fun! :)

After the Race, they had a Survivors Walk, where all the survivors got to walk up to the front. Grandma was in the back of the line with the 40+ years sign. It was over 40 years ago she had breast cancer for the first time, and 10 years ago when she had it the second time. This woman is amazing! I am so so grateful she is still here with us!


All the survivors on the stairs. It was a neat thing to see.
Cute Grandma in the front and center. They did an awesome ceremony that made me cry and feel so lucky to be part of something to great.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I am so sad that I missed it this year. Hopefully next year will be better timing for me.