In September I participated in a special running event with some of my new friends. Shannon had created her own marathon and recruited whoever wanted to join to run with her. She was training to run the entire marathon, but everyone could run however long they wanted to. When I first got here to Topeka, everyone was talking about it and running together, and I decided to jump in and join. I was a little late in the game, and only ran with them a few times before the big event. The first time I ran, I went 5 miles. It was a mixture of running and walking, and was really my first time running in many years. The next time I went 6.5 miles, this time with mostly running and just a short distance walking, and the last time I ran, I went 5 miles and ran the whole way without stopping. It was so fun! I love to run, but just haven't made time for it in the past. I loved running with these ladies and getting to know everyone. The day of the run I ran 7 miles without stopping and was very proud of my accomplishment! I wasn't sure how successful I would be in the run due to just finding out I was pregnant, and having some issues with my foot (I don't think my shoes fit right/offer the right support), but I made it and felt great. Shannon did this run in memory of her dad who passed away a year ago. It was really neat to be a part of it. I am so grateful everyone was so welcoming and let me join in!
We started at 6:00 am. Here we are getting ready to start the race.
I tried to take pictures as we were running. It was hard. :)
After I finished, I was waiting for my ride and wanted to take a picture of how excited I was. I was very proud of myself! It was all those endorphins. :)
I also had Ben take a picture of me sporting my fanny pack. I felt a little old school, but seriously folks, fanny packs are really brilliant ideas! I needed something to carry my stuff and I didn't have to hold anything, and I am telling you, these things should be brought back!
Because everyone was running different distances, everyone started and stopped at different places through out the race. A couple of friends arranged for everyone to be at Shannon's house when she finished the race (she ended the marathon at her house) to help celebrate her success. Because I ended a a lot earlier, I went home and showered and got ready, then came back. It was fun to be there when she came in. They had made a couple of posters that we signed and it was just awesome to see Shan after she accomplished this goal she set out to do, and to see all her support. I'm grateful I got to be part of it!






No comments:
Post a Comment